Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SOPA and PIPA

SOPA is the so-called Stop Online Piracy Act. PIPA is the Protect Intellectual Property Act.

Both of them come to this: "let's censor the internet!"

You know, it's funny how shit really starts to happen when money is involved. The movie and music companies and game companies are really pushing to make sure copyrights are upheld, and to stop any infringement they are will to take away our freedom of speech.

Apparently we as consumers can't be bothered to just stop purchasing their shit. By that I mean stop supporting movies and music and video games. I've stopped buying and even watching movies for the most part, and I don't buy music. I admit to having a bad case of video game fever, and have had it my entire life. But I have at least stopped purchasing the games NEW, pretty much as of this weekend when I found out about SOPA and PIPA.

But what we as consumers can do is protest, at the very least, by taking down our websites on Jan 18th.

Now, I don't have the ability to take blogger.com down, obviously. It's not my website, I just post on it.  But consider this my post my anti SOPA and PIPA post. I support Wikipedia and any other site that will be blacking out tomorrow as a display of how empty the internet would be without freedom.

I encourage others to do the same.

And also, vote with your dollars. These industries are trying to push us around, so let's stop supporting them. Even in small ways, you make a big difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment