Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 3 demo is out today and someone pointed out to me that it's a good mix of RPG and FPS. That made me think of how much I take for granted the RPG elements in my favorite games, like Borderlands, Bioshock, and obviously traditional RPG games like my favorite Dragons Age.

I can't picture playing a game without RPG elements. I tried Dead Island when it came out last year and even it has some modest RPG choices. I can't imagine trying to play through an entire game without at least a hint of RPG!

The more the merrier, when it comes to RPG.  I want control over my characters, I want to bond with her or him. I want to choose my own path. I'm fine with a linear story (given enough side quests), but I want control over how I play.

Fallout 3 did not execute this mix very well, IMHO.  But Mass Effect 3 looks very promising, though. It looks like they aren't compromising on the RPG aspect and are maximizing on the FPS. The game play felt good, the visuals were gorgeous, and I'm excited about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment